The phone rang shrilly jerking him from a dead sleep. Wiping the sleep from his eyes, and sniffling he rolled over on his side picking the phone up from it’s cradle. He worked his mouth just a moment before putting the receiver to his ear.
“Yeah?” he asked sleepily, poorly attempting to hold back a yawn.
“Michael?” a voice half whispered on the other end. The sound, as soft and innocent as it was, sent a panic into his brain as he sat up quickly. A grumpy huff came from the tousled pile of hair and flesh of the girl next to him, as she pulled the covers over her head.
“Who is it Mikey?” the woman grumbled, snuggling further into the recesses of the blankets.
“Work, I have to go take this in the other room. Get back to sleep love.” He said pulling the phone away to peck the blonde woman on the forehead. “Sorry to have woken you.”
He slipped quickly from the bed, hissing as his feet touched the cold hardwood floor. He pushed his feet into slobbered on slippers, casting an evil glance at the Labrador sleeping on the foot of the bed.
“Asshole.” He grumbled, padding himself over to the bedroom door and opening it quietly. Pulling the door closed behind him, he hurried quickly to the living room, praying that the phone hadn’t been slammed down in his ear.
He plopped on the couch, cupping his hand over the phone’s mic whispering softly into it.
“Ally? Angel girl? What’s wrong? You never call me this late.” He said hurriedly, not hearing the tell tale sound of the dialtone.
“Michael..I’m…I shouldn’t have woke you. I’m just being silly.” She said softly, her voice obviously strained.
“Ally. Shut up and tell me. Does Eric know you’re on the phone with me?”
“Does Rosie?”
“No.”
“There’s your answer then. He’s too stoned to fucking care about me right now anyway. I guess I just wanted to hear a friendly voice is all.”
“Why are you even with that loser?” he growled narrowing his eyes at the chair across from him.
“Because. I couldn’t have the asshole I wanted.” She shot back. He could almost see the blush creeping into her face as she added, “Bugsy still chewing on your slippers?”
“Al-“ His heart fell at her words, and he sighed heavily.
“Shut up Mikey. Just…talk to me.” She said softly.
“What happened? Ally, you don’t cry unless there’s something going on.”
“I threw him out…but he’s too stoned to go anywhere.”
"Do you need me to come he-" Michael didn't finish the sentence before she cut him off.
"No, you really shouldn't see me like this. The place is a mess-" She began, a soft whimper creeping into her voice. "I miss you Michael."
"Ally...I'll come get you. Rosie will just deal with you on the couch, you really-"
There was a shout and Ally moved the phone from her mouth to say something to however was yelling in the background. He couldn't make out the words but he knew suddenly with a pulsing dread rising in the back of his throat that Eric had come into the room.

Boom
There was a loud retort followed by the unmistakeable wounded mewling. The phone fell with a thump that resounded on the end of his line and he dropped to his knees, tears welling up into his eyes.
"Ally!" he shouted desperately into the phone. "ALLY! TALK TO ME!"
He heard Rosie stirring in their bedroom but he couldn't bring himself to focus on anything but the weak mewling sound that was making it's way to his ears.
"Mike....at least I'll be your angel now..."came the harsh pain wracked whisper before the reciever went dead.