More General Writing Tips.... These tips are all written by Rabbit 1

If you are not one of those writers who believes in keeping complete, detailed character sketches for your main characters, at least keep a "cheat" sheet nearby that lists each character's appearance, main traits, and general background. By having that information always at hand, you will save yourself lots of wasted time and effort searching through your manuscript just to rediscover exactly what color your heroine's eyes are or whether that tiny scar is above the right or left eye.

Also, when you go back for that final edit, having the cheat sheet nearby helps to make sure your hero's hair remains the same color throughout the book. Take it from someone now working on her thirtieth novel, no matter how well acquainted you think you are with your characters, there will be days when such things a middle name or the exact location or the unique shape of a certain birth mark will elude you.--Rosalyn Alsobrook, Author.

On Dialogue:

A good function of dialogue is to give the reader needed information about the characters involved. Never fall into the trap of feeding information to your reader through long, drawn-out narratives when you can give them that same information through lively exchanges of dialogue. Let your characters inadvertently tell your reader what it is you want them to know.

By eavesdropping, the reader not only gains better insight into the characters themselves, the reader can also be informed of the weather, how something happened, what sort of person old so-in-so is, or what type of mood they are all in and why. The reader has more fun "discovering" story details.--Rosalyn Alsobrook, Author.

On Conflict:

The internal and external conflicts must feed off each other. It is the external conflict that can cause the two main characters to come together long enough for the internal conflict to take hold. It is the external conflict that usually does not allow the internal conflict to separate the two immediately and send them on their way.

The external conflicts can force the two main characters toward actions or decisions that directly affect the internal problems. In turn, those effects influence the external conflict as the story goes along---thus both conflicts feed off each other.--Eve Gaddy, Author.

On Scene and Sequel: (this one is lengthy folks)

Occasionally new writers have a real problem coming up with the sequel part of what many writers call "scene and sequel". One way to overcome this is to pause after writing those always easier to write action scenes (and I don't mean a scene full of lots of action, a scene that moves the plot forward with either action, real or inert, is an action scene) and ask yourself, "How did this last scene change things? How does it affect everyone? Who is effected the most? Do I want the reader aware of that yet? If so, what would be the best way to make the reader aware of the results? If I don't want the reader to know the full effects yet, what can I let the reader know? What other reactions were important? Would it be better to go with one of those instead?"

Then give the reader a chance to learn whatever you've decided should be revealed, however you think that information should be delivered. If it is an important change, or throws the situation into a particularly profound quandary, then consider giving the sequel more "stage time". If it is minor or if you don't want the reader to think much about a subtle change, then keep the sequel a short one or focus on other effects. I've been known to skip the sequel all together for the effect I want. (Granted, it drives my reader nuts, so I have to be careful).

I do this by having a chapter end with an action scene, then I jump to another action scene (usually involving an entirely different character) at the opening of the following chapter, thus I leave the reader hanging on purpose. Sometimes I come back and give the reader the missing sequel later on, but if it is something I don't want the reader to know because it adds to the mystery or whatever to keep it a secret, then I skip that sequel altogether. Not every scene has to have a sequel, but if you don't produce a sequel, have a very strong plot reason not to.

How's that for confusing you?

Examples? You way you want examples? Okay, let's say a huge dam breaks and an entire lake comes crashing down a mountain on a likable preacher who has just gotten the courage to ask the woman he loves (who just happens to be a wayward nun named after your sister-in-law) to marry him, and he's on his way to tell her. The wall of water takes him by surprise, pulls him under, and his last thoughts are of the nun, then he blacks out.

A plausible sequel would have been to have him wake up and realize how his close call to death has made him even more determined to marry the flighty nun, which would lead to the action of his later storming her house and her heart.

OR I could have had the preacher decide that the Johnstown Flood was a sign from God--you don't mess around with his nuns. You leave them be. And the resulting action could have been to tell her he can't continue being alone with her because she's too much of a temptation.

OR a plausible sequel could have been to have the nun, as she finds his body, realize just how much she loved him and would have loved to be a closer part of his life and realize she's not really suited to be a nun, which would lead to the action of her giving up her vows.

So many sequel choices, depending on what I wanted the outcome to be.

Instead, in this particular case, I had no sequel. The next scene involving him was a few chapters away. It was a scene during which his body is discovered by the now-searching-for-bodies heroine, who loved him like a brother. That scene did have a sequel. A very long and very sad one.

As for those writers who spend too much time in sequel mode and tend to have their characters analyzing certain actions to death because they just don't know what comes next, consider this: after you've let the reader know the affect of the last scene in the strongest way possible, if the next action doesn't come immediately to mind, then sit back and ask that character in a loud, angry voice, "So, now what are you going to do about it?" Sometimes it might not be what you expected. That can be a bit scary but fun... --Rosalyn Alsobrook, Author

1. Never use an adjective if a stronger, more specific noun will do.
2. Never use an adverb if a stronger, more specific verb will do.
3. Never use a phrase if a single, more specific adjective or adverb will do.
4. Never use a clause if a phrase will do.
5. Never use a sentence if a clause will do.
6. Never use a compound sentence if a compound predicate will do.

In other words, don�t use unnecessary words! For example, if you�re writing about a �wise old man,� call him a �sage.� It means the same thing, but uses one word instead of three.

Let�s say you have a unique, dynamic character in mind, but no story for him or her to tell (yet). How do you get from character to plot? First, ask some key questions:

* Who does this character care about?
* What does he/she value?
* What is the most important conflict or goal in his/her life? (inner and/or outer)
* How does the character feel about this conflict or goal? (resolving it and/or avoiding it)

If you�re not sure how to answer that last question, think of it this way: Your character must have a strong reason to solve the conflict or pursue the objective you establish. Once you�ve decided what that is, invent an equally compelling emotional reason for him or her to give up that objective, to walk away. In many stories, that other emotion is fear, not just fear of physical harm or death, but fear of failure, exposure, loss, embarrassment, intimacy, or just about anything else�as long as it�s important to your character.

Your story�s plot will revolve around how this character goes about resolving the conflict or achieving the goal. You may need to add other characters and conflicts to provide complications along the way, but the plot should always focus on these four central elements.
Dialect
Dialect and accents have always presented a particular problem to writers. In the 19th century it was common to lay it on thick, complete with phonetic spellings. Not so today. If you drop heavy dialect into the middle of a narrative that has been relatively easy to read, the reader will likely get frustrated. Tread lightly here. When making a dialect decision between verisimilitude and artful indication, many new writers choose the former, rationalizing that this makes the dialogue all the more "real." This is almost always the wrong way to go. Here are some better ways to approach the challenge of dialect:

1. Give a straight, narrative indication of the character's accent and let the reader�s imagination take it from there. Thriller writer David Morrell does this in The League of Night and Fog:

"Have you got any luggage?"

"Just what I'm carrying."

"Then let's get out of here." The man's Canadian accent made "out" sound like "oot."

Most readers are familiar enough with a Canadian accent to mentally "fill in" the dialect through the rest of the dialogue.

2. Instead of trying to recreate the actual sound of a dialect, play with the word order and syntax. Here's a "normal" version:

"Excuse me. Can you tell me, please, how far it is to the ocean?"

Compare:

"Excuse. Please to tell, how far to ocean?"

Only a few words have been dropped or rearranged, but it is quite enough to give the impression of a non-native speaker.

3. Use key words and phrases to imply the dialect. See, for example, Bret Lott's Jewel. Lott, a man, writes in the first person voice of a Southern woman from the 1940s. Here is the opening line:

I was born in 1904, so that when I was pregnant in 1943 I was near enough to be past the rightful age to bear children.

The words "rightful age" are dialect, and dropped in without fanfare. It creates a cadence and sense of place and character. Jewel tells her husband she won�t have another child, and he asks what makes her think so:

I said, "Doesn't take divining, not after five," and I paused.

"Divining" is another indicator of place and time. And so on throughout the book�no strain, but enough indication to keep the reader in tune with the character/narrator.

How do you go about planning the plot for your story? One way is to use an outline. Opinions about using an outline as a plotting tool vary widely. Many writers feel constrained by an outline that is too detailed, while many others feel that a well-crafted, scene-by-scene outline�by taking care of plotting considerations ahead of time�actually frees them up to be more creative during the writing process.

How (or whether) you decide to use outlines will ultimately be a personal choice based on trial and error. But we think it's a good idea to start with some sort of plan, so we'd like to introduce you to one writer's plotting method, a simple, straightforward approach that should work for any type of story. It is called the "Triple-O method," described by John Nanovic in the 1945 Writer's Yearbook:

Plotting can be brought down to just three little words. ... They are:

1. Objective
2. Obstacles
3. Outcome

That is your story, no matter how you twist or turn it, or how you color it. Your hero sets out to get something [objective]. The obstacles that are in his path are the things that make your story. The outcome of his battle with these obstacles gives you your climax [and resolution].

The Triple-O method is particularly useful in plotting the short story because it helps you identify the one objective and obstacle your story will revolve around

How do you go about planning the plot for your story? One way is to use an outline. Opinions about using an outline as a plotting tool vary widely. Many writers feel constrained by an outline that is too detailed, while many others feel that a well-crafted, scene-by-scene outline�by taking care of plotting considerations ahead of time�actually frees them up to be more creative during the writing process.

How (or whether) you decide to use outlines will ultimately be a personal choice based on trial and error. But we think it's a good idea to start with some sort of plan, so we'd like to introduce you to one writer's plotting method, a simple, straightforward approach that should work for any type of story. It is called the "Triple-O method," described by John Nanovic in the 1945 Writer's Yearbook:

Plotting can be brought down to just three little words. ... They are:

1. Objective
2. Obstacles
3. Outcome

That is your story, no matter how you twist or turn it, or how you color it. Your hero sets out to get something [objective]. The obstacles that are in his path are the things that make your story. The outcome of his battle with these obstacles gives you your climax [and resolution].

The Triple-O method is particularly useful in plotting the short story because it helps you identify the one objective and obstacle your story will revolve around

How can I Become a Better Writer?
When you're devoted to becoming a better writer, there are methods to hone your craft, clarify your themes, deepen emotional resonance, and revise effectively. Most people have strengths in their writing, such as descriptive language, and some weaknesses, such as muddy structure or stereotypical characters. To begin, you must identify your weaknesses and then work on those few areas in which many new and seasoned writers falter.

The process of writing unfolds differently with each individual, yet there are general stages that each piece of writing goes through. The first stage is brainstorming where you have disordered ideas vying for attention. If you never struggle for these seeds, consider yourself lucky. If you sometimes lack enough material to write about, keep an idea journal. Jot down seemingly banal things, such as a conversation you overheard in the theater line or scraps of a story about your aunt's vegetable garden. Paste newspaper articles that catch your attention. Widening your pool of subjects certainly makes you a better writer.

Once you have a clear idea for your piece, scribble down key images, dialog exchanges, or treatment of characters. These might be jumbled or confused, but it's important to record them before they slip away. Next, if your piece is narrative or persuasive nonfiction, it should follow a basic structure. To ensure a logical organization, outlines are helpful to fill in holes in plotline, arrange your arguments, or provide a plan for beginning the bulk of the writing. An outline can be sparse, only mentioning how the central conflict gets resolved, or very detailed, with character descriptions and chapter by chapter explications.

Some writers insist that the most common mistake, and therefore the greatest challenge, is to skip a thorough editing. Editing and revising is much more than correcting grammar and spelling mistakes or switching a few sentences. Revising should take as long, if not longer, than completing a first draft. Another writer or close friend can give you suggestions.

Become a better writer by reevaluating your structure, from overall plot down to sections, and finally focusing on paragraphs, sentences, and phrases. Every word in your piece should be there for a reason, and you should know the reason. Seeing improvements to your writing will encourage you by proving that you have made progress. After several editing sweeps, make sure to look back on your first, shaky draft to see that editing is well worth the effort.

First, I pay thanks to Horror Novelist Russell E. Martin who inspired my style and Sci-Fi Novelist Jack L. Chalker, who inspired many of my ideas.

It is my intention with every story I write to transport the reader from their current reality into a world of erotic FANTASY... and I do this by writing what arouses you... both sexually and figuratively. Arousal is by far the greatest motivator for a reader to turn the page and my personal goal every time I write a story. Now, how do I determine whether or not I've succeeded? It's easy, really... to this day, I can pick up any one of my past stories and FEEL 'it' while reading it... and therefore use myself as a barometer. If the story arouses me... then I'm confident that it will arouse my readers.

Now, how exactly do I arouse the reader? Well, I simply make sure that the reader FEELS everything my female characters feel. I cannot stress enough the importance of providing the female point of view (pov). I also suggest a writer stay away from the 1st person, unless the 1st person is female. Only your highly talented writers can get away with that. Plus, I give my male characters some ink, too, allowing my readers into the minds of all my characters. The most important rule of all - DON'T turn your female characters into mindless sex robots! If you do, you'll be writing emotionless sex scenes and risk losing your female readers. Remember, your female reader is identifying with the female character - so, don't destroy her mind! You can provide the readers with the internal struggles by writing what they're thinking throughout their ordeal.

Also, consider making the females in your story, innocent. When done right, you'll be able to elicit arousal from every reader, including the girls! When I write a female-female scene, I usually have one or both females a virgin to lesbian lovemaking. Trust me... it not only proves an incredible 'turn on' for the male and lesbian population, but the heterosexual females will also find themselves aroused! I've been personally told this by several heterosexual females, so don't doubt me... plus, there have been more than few e-mails by female readers confessing the same. If you're a heterosexual female and a FAN of my stories, I bet you're shaking your head in aggreeance.

Remember, as a writer you must transport your female readers into your female characters and your male readers into your male and FEMALE characters. Huh? What the hell am I talking about? Well, think about it guys... When you're making love to your wife or girlfriend... aren't you turned on more when they are into it? Don't you find yourself aroused when they are 'wet' with desire? I know I am! I'm turned on when my wife wants "it" as much as I do. Now, transfer this into your writing. Make sure that the reader knows the female is physically enjoying herself as much as the male. If she's breathing hard, say so! If she's wet, say so! If her nipples are hard and sensitive, say so! If you don't, it's the same as experiencing sex with an unresponse partner. Understand?

And finally, grammatically speaking, I've come a long way since my earlier writing in 1998... and because I have, I find myself constantly improving my work. Yes, it's become a curse. I can pick up a story twenty-five times and always find something I want to change... and it seems my need to improve it grows stronger and stronger each time. But, I must also point out that although my grammer has improved by leaps and bounds, my FORMULA for writing erotica is pretty much the same.