Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
Apathy? About my country? I think not. But I'll answer your question.

To me the flag symbolizes:
a people who rose up against tyranny to establish a new nation, where ALL men (and women) could be free.
a divided people who fought, brother against brother in a horrid war, but who eventually managed to triumph and prove, once and for all that ALL people are free.
a nation which, not once but twice, sent her sons around the world to fight tyranny and oppression and help her allies and neighbors, sending millions of men into England, France, North Africa, Italy, much of the Pacific, and on and on, without even THINKING of conquering those nations for her own.
a nation which, though caught by surprise, managed to get into the space race and place men on the moon! On the MOON, people! An alien world, even though it is right next door, and ONLY Americans have planted their flag. And yet, we do NOT claim it for our own!
a nation which welcomed millions of immigrants to her shores, including my great-grandparents, and made free peoples of them all.
but now, she is a nation in trouble, beset by greedy politicians and corporations, whose very laws are being trampled and demolished by drug dealers and other criminals.
a nation on the brink of collapse due to the destruction of her education system, once among the best in the world.
a nation under attack, from without and within, trying to be defended by a people who are more afraid of giving offense than in doing what is right.
a nation which still, despite more than 200 years of trying, can't seem to understand that ALL people, regardless of race, creed, color, or sexual orientation, have the same rights!

That is what the flag symbolizes to me. Yet it is still only a piece of cloth, nothing more. Worth a few dollars in the local convenience store. It is a nation, a people, to whom I owe my allegiance, not a flag.
It symbolizes all that to you, yet you still think of it as just a piece of cloth. A piece of cloth no different from your socks...or the dishcloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
No, steelish. I am not apathetic. I am just plain scared. Because I don't think my nation can long survive the political, religious and racial assaults upon her and her people. Because our government is no longer of the people, by the people, for the people, but is now against the people.
I too, feel that same fear. How can any sane American NOT feel that fear? The horrible thing is the political, religious and racial assaults are coming from within...if they were being brought upon us by another country, America would most definitely band together and fight the assault. It's her own people doing the harm. But it's not the fault of religion. It's not the fault of politics. It's not the fault of race. It's the fault of the people themselves who use those things as weapons. Only by reaching out to one another with decent human kindness in our souls can we overcome this insanity.