I lamented over posting this as the topic has been done before…but I’m a writer so I write stuff out.

It’s a conundrum. Studies prove that ‘financial’ rewards are not as an important motivator as other factors. Internet authors are a perfect example. We write because we have a passion, and we write because we have a story and we write to please the reader. Any writer who says, it’s not about the numbers, ratings or responses is in a very, very deep state of denial. If we did not want a response to our writing then we would not publish. Opinions will differ on this, so we can agree to disagree

Before I started publishing erotica, I was an avid reader. Moreover, like the vast majority, I read great stories and never commented or rated or provided email feedback. The reason was simple. The writer surely knows they did a great job, why do they need to hear from me. When I started writing my own stuff, I completely forgot that experience. I assumed writers received plenty of feedback and did not need mine. The experience was remembered when 10K people viewed at least part of my story and only three commented (on other sites it is higher, but percentage of response/readership is the same).

Here’s what helped me realize that the reader doesn’t understand the motivating power they have over a writer whose work they enjoy. I write semi-long series. Often the world of responsibilities requires that I take time off from writing to attend other things. On a number of occasions, I have received a sea of passionate requests to “continue” the story. I asked myself; if these people love this so much and have taken the time to write me now…then why didn’t they comment or rate the story in the first place. My answer, they do not know it is important to the writer.

Now if readers like Jimmy Jump populated the site, we would all be very happy. The guy has the highest commenting rate of anyone, is always respectful and provides thoughtful and accurate criticism. But of course it is not filled with those types of readers. And the reader’s have no responsibility to us, but we have a huge responsibility to them. So I am suggesting two different strategies to increase comments. Strategy 1, is to publically reward through recognition the top 5 “commenters” of the month. Now there may be something in it for the reader, and it makes rating stories important because it is something that is measured. I will leave that to the site administrators to decide since as they have pointed out…they have lives too.

The second strategy is simpler. Every writer should rate and comment on at least three stories a month. Why? Because you get what you give. More importantly, it creates a true community of writers who balance their own egos with support for others who labor passionately in the dead of night to create something for the reader. Because I practice what I preach, I have committed myself to this monthly review. I may never catch up to Jimmy Jump’s numbers, but at least I am not being a hypocrite asking for something that I am not doing for fellow writers. If you want my input because I missed your story…send me an email…the first review is free…the rest will require that you first return the favor.

Well there is my two cents, pounds or quid, thanks for your time.