Since this thread is back, and I'm in the mood to derail and/or twist a kink into discussions today, let me go ahead and throw in my two cents:

Personally, I suspect this topic is being over thought by a step. What I mean by that comment is that many subs will overlook a younger Dom not because he is (or because they suspect he is) a poor Dominant, they'll overlook him simply because the majority of ladies on an 18 and up website just aren't attracted to a guy that has barely eeked over the line to legal. Your Domliness or lack thereof, OP, likely has little to do with prospective subs' or potential friends' interest.

People are attracted to what they're attracted to, and age is a factor that turns people on or off whether the people in question are purely vanilla or totally Lifestyle. If I think about my own personal opinions, for example - I wouldn't even have a guess as to what kind of Dom you are or will be, and I also know it's likely I'll never find out because my lack of things in common with a college undergrad is seriously prohibitive to me wanting to start a relationship. I personally want close friends and partners (and Doms) that understand a bit more comprehensively about my life and therefore who I am as a person, and vice versa.

Basically, I wouldn't look at what you're experiencing as a good Dom/bad Dom judgment call - I'd more chalk it up to people just naturally moving to the peer groups they fit in.