Quote Originally Posted by LO1121 View Post
It takes more trust (in my humble opinion) to have an open marriage than a physically monogamous one.
I read something earlier this evening that really got me thinking about trust vs. jealousy in relationships. In a nutshell, it went like this:

Couple 1 went to a party one night and had an amazing time, but Couple 2 who they are friends with had some difficulties due to the male having jealousy and trust issues. The girls in both couples had been receiving a lot of attention from others throughout the evening and loving every moment of it, occasionally going back to their partners for a few moments just to check-in so to speak. This worked great for Couple 1 who were each doing their own thing for the most part, but the male in Couple 2 would put on a fake smile then continue sulking about his girlfriend. He didn't understand how it couldn't bother Male 1 that his girlfriend was so flirty with other people instead of being with him, to which Male 1 replied it didn't bother him as he trusts her and in the end he knows the girl will be going home with him.

Male 2 obviously feels jealous when his girl gets attention elsewhere, yes he cares but his actions negatively affecting their relationship and enjoyment of the evening. Male 1 however felt proud that he was lucky enough to be with such a beautiful girl who got so much admiration from others, and enjoyed seeing her enjoy herself because there was a level of trust.

Now, from what I understand I assume Couple 1 have a somewhat open relationship whereas Couple 2 is very strictly monogamous. Yet it is Couple 1 who display the deepest level of trust and Couple 2 who battle with emotions of jealousy. Why is that, I wonder, and (how) can we change our own emotional reactions to situations to display the better traits that lead to more enjoyment all round?