I keep running into topics that really gets to me these days..

Here is another one, and I put it here because it has to do with ethics:

"Once upon a time, the muckity mucks of curriculum design thought it would be a good idea to teach biology, the study of life, by having students participate in dissection labs that ranged from mutilating dead worms to rats, cats and fetal pigs, among other creatures.

The animals that end up on lab tables can come from a number of sources. Some were taken from their habitat in the wild, while others are byproducts of the meat and fur industries. Still others may have been someone’s former pet who had the misfortune of being bought from a shelter or stolen by a Class B dealer, or animal broker who finds and sell dogs and cats to schools and research institutions for a profit.

Dissection is yet another way to fuel these businesses.

Students have come forward to express their discomfort...
"

Seen from the perspective of the children, I personally I think it way to early to go into that kind of thing!

On top of that, I can just see a child with a cat at home being asked to dissect a cat - it could amount to abuse of the worst sort.

Seen from the angle of the animals, it is a huge waste of lives for no reason. (Every year high schools go through about 6 million vertebrates alone, while the numbers for elementary and middle schools and colleges are unknown, according to the American Anti-Vivisection Society.) The ones who will study biology later will get to it, the rest can learn from dravings.

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-w...ght-to-choose/