I recently received a review that mentioned the story could have used a "slow" code added (the fact that the story has no codes at all as yet is a frustrating problem, hopefully fixed on my fourth attempt). I don't particularly consider my writing slow. I know the tendency in the genre is to have very fast-paced stories that jump from action scene to action scene, more often than not any characterisation is added as a way to get the characters back into an action scene. These kinds of stories leave me really unfulfilled, so I have tried to just write in a natural flow, getting to the action when it is appropriate.

The comment in the review got me to thinking about "action" - what it means to people - and how a story is categorised as "slow".

I see most everything that happens in a story as action, even some conversations are extremely erotic, more so than ten paragraphs describing a long whipping scene. What does everyone else consider the actual "action". Is it just whipping and spanking and apparatus? Sex?

The second part is what do people feel is "slow"? Is it that the plot is not developing quickly enough? Is it that there aren't constant BDSM 'scenes' in each paragraph? Is it that the story is long (around 60,000 words and only four chapters so far)?

I am interested in everyone's thoughts because when I do manage to get some story codes added to this story I would like to know whether I should add a slow code as well.

Oh and what is the general feeling towards this code? Is it a turnoff? I mean who actually searches for stories that are slow? The word has negative connotations for me and I was wondering if this was the case for others as well.

Thanks