Quote Originally Posted by IAN 2411 View Post
They used to Ozme52 a thousand + years ago, but then again if I had a few elephants either side of me and I was riding on one, even I would feel safe. I didn’t have to look that up, because I have the Carthaginians in the middle of one of the books I have written.

You were also correct in one of your earlier posts, as they never gave a damn about anyone. They trampled upon men women and children as they walked, smashed , pillaged and raped their way through towns, villages and country side.

Did you know that the enemy destroyed the elephants by climbing trees, and overhanging rocks to fall on the elephants from above. Then if they could kill the archer or spearmen that it was carrying, the assailant would stick a spear in the nape of the elephant’s neck between the head and body. It was the only way they could be killed, the very first anti tank weapon I would presume.

Be well IAN 2411
The Carthiginians probably used this smaller, now extinct, species. I believe this Wiki article to be accurate... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Elephant

You're correct, the leaders of the past who did actually fight were better armed and armoured, had better mounts, whether equine or elephant, and were often spared for the ransom they could bring. But they could take an errant arrow to the eye (ala Harold at Hastings.) And at least they led. Now they send.