Hollywood actor Martin Sheen has declared himself proud of his uncle's IRA past.

The star said he was also relieved to discover that his mother's brother, Michael Fieland, from Co Tipperary, had no part in the assassination of Irish revolutionary leader Michael Collins.

Sheen found out about his close family links to Ireland's War of Independence while taking part in the US version of the hit genealogy television series Who Do You Think You Are?. The 71-year-old visited Dublin's Kilmainham Gaol and spent time in the cell where it is believed his uncle was incarcerated.

"I'm enormously proud of him," he said. "I would like to hope that if I had been here in Ireland at the time, I would have followed him. And I would have been as committed as he was."

Best known for his roles in Apocalypse Now, Wall Street and the television series West Wing, he described his uncle as an Irish volunteer. The actor said Fieland went on to fight against the Free State side, who supported the Anglo-Irish treaty, during the resulting Civil War in the early 1920s.

Sheen was concerned about what the TV researchers would turn up. "When I was in Ireland and discovering the involvement of my uncle in the Rising and the Civil War, because he took an opposing side to (Eamon) de Valera, I was afraid he might have been in on the plan to assassinate Mick Collins," he said.

"But as it turned out he was in prison when Mick Collins was assassinated and I was deeply relieved
.................................................. ..........................

Martin Sheen.......= Ramon Antonio Gerard Esteves....Call me paddy O’Esteves. I am proud to be associated with the terrorist organisation the IRA.

Barrack Obama.....=President of the USA......I am proud of my ancestral past in Africa and Ireland, so call me paddy O’bama. His uncle and grandfather I believe were in the Mau-Mau, a terrorist organisation that rebelled against the government. The Mau-Mau killed no end of innocent civilians by beheading them, women, children and babies. They dismembered mothers in front of the children before raping and killing the children, and Obama is proud of them. I might add that although the British killed most of the Mau-Mau, it was an elected Kenyan government that employed the British. There’s that terrorist word again.

To admit to something like that, just shows me how much the American privileged; love to be associated with terrorists. It must give them a buzz knowing they are sticking their finger up to the rest of the world. Sticking their finger up to just about anyone that is not, terrorist related. They love sticking their finger up to all those innocent people that were killed in horrendous ways for a terrorist ideal.

Who is next I wonder to admit they are proud to be assosiated with terrorists? Would either Sheen or Obama be spouting off their mouth’s if they were related to El-Quada?

Be well IAN 2411

PS

By the way paddy O’Esteves, just because he was in prison does not mean he had nothing to do with the assassination, you stupid asshole.