Every once in a while when I'm done reading a text sent by one of our contributors I sit on my cheap publishing house skivvy-chair, scratch my head and can't help but think: "And who should or will give a flying f*** about any of this?"
I mean, it's not unusual that someone writes two thousand words about nothing. I usually don't have much of a problem deleting two thirds of it, either. But, frankly, six or eight hundred words about Nothing is still, well, Nothing. However, since I'm paid to delete 1200 words of Nothing I don't mind all that much.
But when I think of it being printed 35'000 times on perfectly perfect paper it still makes me cringe because of all the beautiful trees that had to be cut for - yes! - Nothing.

It's not much better when no forests in Finland were clear-cut because Nothing had been posted online. Energy has been spent to write Nothing and energy has been spent to read Nothing. But most important: Time has been wasted (mostly those of the readers. I don't sympathize much with the authors of Nothing). And time, unlike energy, will be lost forever.

And then, every once in a while, I come upon one of those companions advising people on how to write or become an author. Some are good, some are excellent, some are ..., well, you know.
They say things like spelling and grammar are important (yes!), that you should get an editor (yes! yes!) or give advice on how to deal with writer's block and all that.
That's fine. Really. I'm all for writing, after all.

But all of them are missing the crucial point, because all the authors of those advise books and posts and lists and whatnots assume that whoever wants to write (or communicate. It's only marginally less annoying if Nothing is told to your face than it is when you read Nothing) actually has something to say.
No, the crucial and most important question about writing comes much, much earlier. In fact, it should be asked and truthfully answered before you even think about dipping your pen into the inkstand or open a Word doc.

It's a simple question, too: Do I have to say something or am I wasting my potential readers' time?

If in doubt about the answer, let it be. Thank you.