Quote Originally Posted by thir View Post
"That would be news to the special units in every police force in this country set up to protect young Asian women from forced marriages. And we're not talking about just the emotional force a family can bring to bear, we're talking about girls who know they will be hunted down and killed if they run away. Still, no pressure, right?"

Why is that comparing oranges and apples? The topic was coercion, and a forced marriage is coercion, or at the extreme end of coercion. Also in DK there is a lot of trouble with forced marriages from cultures where the parents have traditionally arranged the marriages. The girls (they are usually quite young) run away, with the risk of either fending for themselves at an early age, or ending up a victim of an 'honour' killing. Also the boys end up in this situation, except they do not get killed, but they are likewise under a lot of presure. I have personal knowlegde of one such girl, who is still in hiding while trying to figure out how to get an education while avoid getting killed.
Many cannot handle that - they get married.

Why is a mormon girl always getting an affluent man? Does this mean that there are a lot of poorer men who never get married? In programs I have seen, a lot of the affluence came from a number of wifes working outside the family, and bringing their wages home, while the rest takes care of the home and children.

Anyway, if she is coerced, I do not see what affluence or not matter, but she could be wife no 6 or 7. How fun do you think it is for a girl of perhaps 15 to be married to a man 3 or 4 times her age? Do you think she gets enough attention, love, sex? Does any of them? Money isn't everything, and anyway in this day and age people can earn their own money.
jesus christ, in that case any marriage is coercion. what if the guy gets down on one knee and the girldoesnt want to hurt his feelings, coercion.
what if a girl gives the guy and ultimatum of marriage or seperation, coercion.
what if a guy wants to get a divorce but the girl will get most of his assets so he just lives in a shitty marriage, coercion