The "knowledge and consent of all partners concerned"[3] is a defining characteristic of polyamorous relationships. Distinguishing polyamory from traditional forms of non-monogamy (e.g., "cheating") is an ideology that openness, goodwill, truthful communication, and ethical behavior should prevail among all the parties involved.[4][5] As of July 2009, it was estimated that more than 500,000 polyamorous relationships existed in the United States.[6][7]

Polyamory (from Greek πολύ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [love]) is the practice, desire, or acceptance of having more than one intimate relationship at a time with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved.

Those are two definitions of poly relationships from the web (given to me from a friend, sorry about the lack of references). I have some second hand r/l experience with poly myself, my grandmother being one of 5 wives and my mother belonging to an open marriage. In both cases, the above definitions hold true. They are not however, as far as i know, of a BDSM nature. And recently, was given a very different definition of its dynamics. Specifically that the parties involved should not know of each other in order to save their feelings. I personally disagree with this, but would like the opinions of the community.

Remember, respectful disagreements are productive, and i would love to hear opinions from all viewpoints.

kitty kisses all