In my view disrespect and intentional disobedience are of course not the proper behavior for a submissive. But personally I do enjoy a spirited submissive girl.

My most recent submissive is a very independent young woman and holds a position in her company that requires her to be quite assertive at work. To put it kindly she does have a willful streak which I certainly enjoyed taming. That aspect of her only served to make her submission to me all the more satisfying.

A part of her being "challenging" I knew was simply because she was aware she was a lot to handle but she wanted to submit and feel my control. She needed to know where the boundaries were to feel secure and sometimes was prone to test the boundaries just to assure herself they were still there.

Yes, there are specific expectations to be met on both sides in the D/s dynamic but I'd never want to extinguish a girl's natural personality or spirit. Any relationship, even a D/s relationship should be fun for both parties. Bratty behavior, as long as it isn't disrespectful or an act of open defiance can help keep things fun and interesting. If it goes too far, a Dom simply curbs it with appropriate correction.