I've been reading this thread, and debating posting for a couple of weeks. This morning ... well, here goes.

As has been said before me, there will always be bullies, on the internet, but also in real life. It happens in adults and in children, though as adults we are more prepared psychologically to work through it than teenagers are. Not saying that all adults are able to, as times bullying can be taken to different extremes as adults. There are ring leaders, who in my opinion, are often driven more by their own insecurities and acting out aggression that they can't process. The followers are those in between who have just enough of their own shit happening where they walk in someone else's shadow and get some gratification for their own demons in being part of something vicious.

Its easy to say to a kid, stop going online if you're being bullied, but how often is so much of their social world good and bad driven by whats on their friend streams, or what's happening online? They are raised where technology is always on and available, and in my opinion, it lies on the parents to guide and watch over their kids where this is concerned. They are your kids, you are not there to always be nice. Sometimes boundaries are needed for their own safety, not just physical but mental as well. If a child, heaven forbid, is at a point where they have made the choice to take their own life, there are so many people i think who could have stepped in to help before it got that far that in a way we all failed them. But we also have to remember, that even before the internet, and having had a childhood loss myself, this choice sometimes just is. The factors could all be what we try to help the one going thru it, but sometimes its just not enough for them.

As a parent, my child has already been bullied. We are talking grade school, before technology has even truly touched their innocence. In a society where old school ways are frowned upon, and we are told to work through it, talk through it, i followed the guidance of the schools. And then my child was physically harmed, and the school failed on a major level. They focused solely on coaching the bully, counseling, and completely forgot that there was a child that was harmed. I found out at the end of the school day as an afterthought by a teacher who wasnt even my child's. And when confronting the school, it was all about protecting the rights of the bully. So, i teach my child now what i believe is right.

No one lays a hand on you without your permission. People say awful things, you don't acknowledge them. Remember that they are sad people who don't know what happiness is. Remember that you are loved. And if someone ever lays their hands on you first, you do ALL you can to protect yourself, and i will stand behind you 100%.but if you touch them first! then you and i have a problem.

Bottom line is bullying will be online, in real life, it will be everywhere ant any age. It is our job to support our children and stop giving so much credit for the forum of where it is happening and focus more on helping the ones going through it regardless. Set boundaries, set limitations for your children so they know where they can shut down and be safe.

All my opinion ... of course.