Well I have had many dominants over my time in the lifestyle, sometimes many at once (poly has its advantages lol) and you reach a point after a while were you start giving each and every one of them what they want a lot sooner rather then later and stop questioning orders and testing limits. (as Solis so eloquently put it in another thread you become "broken" to your dominants will)

This sometimes happens slowly over time with an individual dominant especially when its your first time and you don't really know whats coming. This process to me seemed to happen much quicker overall within the higher protocol structured confines of certain groups. I found it to be greatly accelerated when your being shared between dominants in the same group and expected to submit to any one of them as if each and every one of them was your master in every regard. That breaking in phase gets easier with each knew dominant.

It is also imho the point where you stop struggling with your own submission and surrender too it fully, making as some would put it the transition from submissive to slave.

I would also like to point out that the feelings of being cared for, protected, and owned are all three very different things and not all of them need be present in every relationship for one to experience that level of submission.