I agree with both just_ine and jane. What a fantastic job they did of describing their experiences. Both posts are a great read for anyone who has limited or no experience of online to explain just what can be achieved with it.
I've tried and enjoyed all of the types of online interaction they mention. Some with long term online Dom partners where the emotions and attachments that go with the relationship intensify everything. Some with kinky friends in one off situations- often equally as enjoyable as I generally have become friends with them because we have the same interests.

I think the key though is something in your last post, Sagacious - The trick is simply to find someone to play with who has complimentary appetites and with whom you can develop a connection

You can talk in the chat room with someone you think will be hot, hot, hot ! to play with - but if their online skills are not there - namely ability to use words to create a scene, create a feeling, create a whole world in both your minds - it will never work.
Sadly some never have these skills, but as mentioned before we are lucky in the Library because it does attract writers and those with a good imagination and ability to paint a picture in our minds with those words.

It's not just about matching interests, but also matching online ability with regards to grammar, spelling, literacy etc. Sounds a little harsh I know but it is true. I've talked to guys in the past who have much the same interests as me. They have done a good job of using words but constant grammar errors or basic spelling (I don't mean typos - we all do them especially when.. um.. agitated ) anyway.. those constant errors end up digging into my brain and completely negating any other feelings that may be developing.

~giggling~ I had to just go back and check my whole post for grammar and spelling

I have to admit, I don't really play online anymore other than a bit of raunchy banter with Sir because we are together most weekends and I don't get the same buzz from the talking, role playing and sceneing as I used to, although I enjoy a bit of sexy BDSM chat as much as most of us.

Couldn't resist posting on this one - like jane said