Quote Originally Posted by leo9 View Post
but Rodgers wasn't in some way the cutting edge of it; he was a random incident.
It's true that he was not the cutting edge. There have been many more instances of misogyny both before and after his rant. He simply went further than most others are willing to go. But he is indicative of a deeper problem festering beneath the surface of society. If you dig into those MRA sites he frequented you will find many other young men who think what he did was right and just, and wish they had the guts to do it themselves.

And, as thir points out, all of this is fostering a deeper culture of "rape isn't so bad as long as nobody gets killed" thinking. Especially when it involves sports heroes. I find it absolutely disgusting that entire swaths of so-called good people will willingly degrade the victim of a crime, even when reams of evidence exists to prove the crime, in order to preserve the "good name" of a local football star, or basketball wizard, or some other group of young men who were "just being boys." I was a boy once, long ago and far away, and that kind of behavior would not, and still should not, be tolerated.

In my opinion, those who are held to higher esteem should also be held to higher standards.