The article doesn't make clear whether or not the girl reported the first rape. I would hazard a guess that, even if she had, little would have been done about it. It would have been a "he said she said" case, and as a "respected" spiritual leader his say would have carried more weight.

But either way, I'm with leo9: not the best way to resolve an issue, but it certainly got the bastard's attention. And with public opinion in India starting to turn against rapists and towards victims, I have to wonder if any place will be safe for him now.

I was reminded of this article from four years ago, which was also hailed, and condemned, by many. Like the knife, it's not a perfect solution, but it does give the victim a choice she doesn't have without it. And who knows? If enough rapists manage to get their dicks shredded, or removed, maybe the authorities will finally enact REAL laws protecting the victims of these crimes. And enforcing them!

Until then, I'm on the side of the women. Protect yourself however you can. And then report the attack.