Quote Originally Posted by thir View Post
But I wonder if it hurts enough for the victim to get away? If the attacker is trapped inside, you could have a very dangerous situation, and what if there is more than one which seems to be the mode in many places?
It's my understanding that the hooks inside are like the barbs on a fish hook. They don't prevent insertion, but when the rapist pulls back the condom comes with him, painfully, and stays hooked. It's apparently inserted and removed similar to a tampon, but once attached to the penis cannot be safely removed without medical tools, and is best done by a doctor, who would then report the incident to the police. There were several articles about the device at the time, some of which were more critical of the women who would dare to use them to defend themselves than the rapists who got caught by them. But as I recall, several women were able to escape their attackers because of the device.

As for multiple attackers, I doubt there is anything a single woman could do to protect herself from those. In fact, it would probably be better for her to remove the device herself rather than anger her attackers by injuring one of them.