@Sk8tan71 - Yes we could and should separate the concepts. I did not simply for brevity and from a statistical point of view they are the same, tainted data.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. You are talking about reported cases. I am talking mostly about online bdsm. The OP spoke of high numbers and I assumed the OP had not been around BDSM clubs (where I suspect the numbers are not high).

There are a lot of fibbers and fakers on the net. Surely you accept this. Online bdsm is often about sexual fantasy and roleplay, This makes invented stories of abuse more likely. I accept the number of true cases that are spoken of would also be higher since in other communities there is less chance of feeling able to talk about it.

Let me give practical example. I spoke with young girl who told me how she could not pay her rent so the landlord took sexual favours. The story then escalated to him sharing her with his friends and in the end he kicked her out naked onto the streets. I asked poignant questions which were evaded. Was it just fantasy? Is it abuse? It sure as hell was not reported. Just read posts, there are often tales where people have to ask .. is this real, where people are posting fantasies as if true.

As for exagerated abuse. This covers many things and is debateable what it is.; If a flasher shows his dick to a woman in the park is that abuse. I suppose it may be. But it the woman says she was abused and gives no details one would assume something more serious. It could be simply not wishing to talk about it or it could be for drama.