Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post

My point was that controls which infringe on civil liberties are of neglible value and there is no accountabily. That said there is value to governments in keeping fear in the nation and giving public the impression the government is protecting them. I heard a CIA expert talking about fear and how government uses it by raising then lowering alert levels.
So is the discussion going the UK at the moment, that you cannot actually protect 100% against terrorist attacks, but the government has to be seen doing something, they think, so they do what it best for them, and also what might make a show for the people.

That said civil rights groups are probably making too much of it. If the government is listening in when you talk to you email your girlfriend or phone for a pizza so what. If they track my surfing habits and know I'm a perv so what. For the people they want to know about the authorities will do it anyway legal or not. Hell the newpapers hack phones so lets not be surprised if the CIA do. Its not good I agree but sadly I see it as inevitable as technology makes it easier.

I do not think you can make too much of personal freedom. Not only is it a right not be looked over your shoulder or have all your personal information mined for commercial uses, but at some point it will be misused even more. Big brother is here, we are on a slide here. It is the faith that if you have done nothing wrong nothing will happen, but that is not true for one thing, and the wrong government will use it for their purposes to weed out people of a different conviction but theirs.

Here the government has tried to go after the human rights laws already, and are doing their worst to get at whatever rights we have left.

Sadly the most effective method in combatting terrorism is not considered, That is to look at and remove or reduce the cause. The 911 terrorists stated US support for Israel and meddling in Middle East politics was a main reason. The invasion of Iraq has not reduced terrorism, it has helped spawn IS and given us Paris and Brussels attacks, The encouragement of armed rebellion in Syria has led to mass migration into Europe for refugees and terrorists.
You are dead right here. And it is amazing how little is said about why terrorist do what they do. The MPs where are very busy telling everybody that the fugitives are of course not any of their doing, although they were quick enough to vote for bombing in a time when they say they have no money for hospitals. However bad, they can always find money to bomb someone.

The sad truth is government doesn't really care about terrorism and if anything likes it. It means big fat contracts are given out in return for campaign contributions and directorships.
I fear you are right there too..