I had just read this thread and was working offline on a reply that read almost word for word what JD has posted. I found his reply when I returned so rather than duplicate a post that is so well written and so succinctly makes the points that I was about to make, I will simply add a couple of thoughts.

I believe I can teach the mechanics of BDSM to almost anyone. Take for example the bullwhip. In the hands of an inexperienced operator even a 6 foot leather bullwhip that one can buy at almost any of the curio shops scattered throughout the southwestern US can cause lasting damage, usually to the operator much less to an unsuspecting victim. I can teach someone how to handle that whip. I can teach them to do the movie crack. I can teach them how to accurately place that tip. I can teach them how to control the speed of the whip so that you get just the desired effect. What I can not teach them is how to get that surge of sexual energy when you stand behind a willing submissive, who has handed to you in trust their well being and safety, and you hold that leather in your hand. That is in the wiring, not the teaching.

I too was trained by an "Old Guard" community. I earned my leathers. I am now an old fat over the hill broken down retired dominant sadist. I have watched this community grow from a few relatively closed groups scattered around the country to a marketing phenomenon with dollars as the ultimate goal. What was once a confirmed life style choice has now become a fashion fad.

The bottom line is that, like JD, I have experienced everything that I ask a submissive to experience. My personal opinion is that a submissive should in all seriousness look at a Dominant/Sadist when negotiating any action or scene and ask the question; "Have you had this done to you? Have you experienced this first hand to the level you want to take me?" I would never expect a submissive to accept any thing that I have no experienced myself first hand.

My two cents worth and I will kick the soap box back under the table.

As a side note: Justine, thank you for your thoughtful and always educational posts. You are what these forums should be about and yours is an example that everyone who visits should seek to emulate.

iseult. Your post(s) are a joy to read. They are well written, informative, and you are one of the few people I have ever seen who documents and cites authoritative materials to support your statements and arguments. You are the epitome of the forum participants. Thank you for your contributions and for your knowledge and obvious education. Now I will troll a bit. You wouldn't be in need of an old, over the hill, broken down, fat, retired, Dominant/Sadist would you? Seriously though. You are an obvious treasure, as is justine and the two of you are to be commended for your contributions to these forums.

Nuff' Said.