@just_ine - You may have misunderstood me, maybe not, your response is not clear. I said the only difference between bdsm sadist and the rvil sadist like the serial killers (example) is the consent. By that I meant both get pleasure from causing suffering. One restrains himself in the absence of consent the other doesn't. I'm not sure how you disagree with this.

As regards the definition of sadist. Here are definitions from 2 respected dictionaries. I'm sure other dictionaries would be similar,

a ​person who gets ​pleasure, sometimes ​sexual, by being ​cruel to or ​hurting another ​person - Merriam Webster Dictionary

someone who enjoys hurting other people or making them suffer - Longman Dictionary

I agree though that you and most in bdsm mean something different. As I said before I suspect many who call themselves sadists mean they like (heavy) impact or pain sensation play, which is not quite suffering or being cruel. The dom who likes to flog his sub hard maybe calls himself a sadist but I doubt he really is. Is this the source of our difference of opinion ?

Quote Originally Posted by just_ine
When it breached consent, his true pleasure only started.
Yep thats the sadist. If you consent it means you enjoy or at least dont mind it ie its not suffering. and without the suffering there is no pleasure for the sadist.

I'd have thought being a masochist makes you less of a target for the sadist. For the bdsm sadist you are a target because there can be consent and there is a common interest (kink). For the true sadist if you enjoy it there is less suffering and less pleasure for the sadist. It logic Captain Kirk.

@PurpleKnight - You describe yourself as a sadist. Do you meet the definitions I quoted above ?