Are kids growing up too fast? Emotional and logical maturity hasn't been fast-tracked in the later years, only the public image of how children today should behave (or not) have changed. Not the pace of how fast a child matures.
Children have always looked up to popular people for role-models. The thing about today's world, is that the role-models may be from a strict home with good upbringing but they have chosen a path in life that doesn't fit young people. If I remember correctly, Christina Aguilera wasn't a bad role-model once. I believe she was first cast in Disney's Breakfast Club. (Correct me if I'm wrong here. I know one of the girl-idols was with Disney) In terms of personality, she may still be a good role-model. What do I know? But her public appearance is what her fans see and mimic. And since children understand that the music business isn't for them at this point in their lives, they copy her appearance. And with all the hype on Paris and Nicole, The Olsen Twins, Gwen Stefani, etc. it's no wonder little girls want to copy their appearance. They understand that these people are loved and popular, and they want to be loved and popular. Sadly, being yourself doesn't often make you loved and popular because some bad seeds put them down with derogatory comments if they don't act like "the flock of geese".

There are several bad role-models for young boys too, but that doesn't show as much, since this day and age is geared so much towards sexuality. We see the little girls because they dress "skanky" or whatever.

I have no problem with children finding their own style and being themselves, but at ages below 14, I don't think it is appropriate to dress them up, or let them dress up, like the 20-something idols. 14 is an age, for me, when they can be allowed a little more leeway in how they dress, but I would still put some restrictions on them.

As for the spanking part of this discussion. I love my parents. They were never too strict, in fact, I think they could have been stricter. Certainly when it comes to my sister and brother. I have been spanked (or tried spanked) only once. My mother and father had a branch of birch lying atop a door-post. Once I proved myself to be so obnoxious that it came down on me... And snapped in four pieces. It was too dry. So I have gotten one hit by a cane in all my life. When I got older, I was somewhere in my teens, I got a slap in the face by my mother. I don't remember the discussion, but I think I called my mother something you should never call your mother. She then gave me an open-handed slap. I didn't feel it then, as the discussion was so heated, but I felt it later when I had retreated to my room.

I can't say for sure what I will be doing to my kids when I eventually( ? ) get them, but I can say that a spanking most likely will be a last resort to make them understand. Taking away privileges will always be the first, after trying to make them understand why and how they have done something wrong. But should this prove to be leading nowhere, I think a talk, a spanking, and more talking will let them know that this is serious. Something are so serious that you need to feel some physical effects of them as well as a rant from one of the parents about why and how it's wrong.

I guess I just talked myself into the fact that I will spank my kids once in a great while.

I wish my parents had given me more structure when I was growing up. They weren't bad parents, neither abusive or any other bad thing. They just weren't GREAT parents. They gave me respect and advice and love, but they lacked the fourth leg upon which a parent is judged: Structure.

Well, my soap box is starting to get very heavy, so I'll end it here.

Conclusion: Kids don't grow up/mature faster than before. Their role-models have changed, and their values are different than what we want them to be.