Quote Originally Posted by ami_r90 View Post
Well, in anticipation of meeting someone off the internet I've been thinking about the basic safety procedure one would follow in this instance - primarily letting someone know what you're doing, where, when you'll be back, and possibly incorporating a safe call into that. Telling a friend is for some reason a more daunting prospect than telling my mum,
I think most poeple would feel otherwise! But as Denu says, you don't have to go into the whole story just to arrange a safe call. Just tell the person that you're meeting a date you don't know much about, and you just want to be careful. If it's your mum, she'll probably admire your good sense.
hence I've been wondering how many of you have a parent, sibling or other close relative who knows about your interest in BDSM (supposedly without too much detail about what you actually get up to lol). How did you go about raising the topic? How did they take it? What was your reason for telling them?
I'd never normally tell my family things like that, simply because what I do for sex is none of their business. I did keep my parents informed when I went into a poly marriage, because they needed to know what the new people in my life were. (It turned out that they'd managed to not hear anything I said and go on thinking we were a couple with two friends living with us, but you can't force people to hear what they don't want to.)

But when I married my late wife, an ex-girlfriend spread trouble around in several places, including outing me to my younger sister, who was seriously shocked at the whole idea. It took a lot of long very carefully written letters to convince her that there was no harm in it and she could just try to forget it.