Quote Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Unions aren't the answer for this. Over here union garbage workers can make 6 figures. So the comparison seems backwards!
If it was not for the union there would be no nurses over here in the UK....before a hospital would employ a nurse on contract they would rather have agency nurses that know damn all about the patient and are paid three times as much.
Now let me think, I am in hospital getting half my guts cut out, who do I need a Garbage collector on six figures or a nurse on four figures to look after me and change the dressing? Yes Snark that was the comparison. You don’t need four years of training to stand on the back of a dust cart. You don’t have to live on next to no money while you are being trained as a garbage collector. I would also like to point out that there is no shortage of nurses in the UK it is just that the hospitals will not employ them. For every three nurses employed there is one made redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by denuseri View Post
Yes a shortage driven by the hospital administration and its corperate intrests itself by reducing the number of nurses to the bare mininum required by law on the floor at any given time. Work on a hospital floor anywhere where big money is involved and you will see when the ratio falls bellow the standard the Rn's are floated to another floor or sent home so as to avoid having to pay them.

This is the old 8 patients to one nurse ratio which was determined by the insurance companies working in collussion with corperate intrests as the best way to make sure the staff is constantly running its ass off with an "aceptable" number of mishapes it produces to be solved through minimal pay out to the agrieved patients families under the table if possible when litigation occurs is considered to be "profitable".

( a day thats supposed to only be composed of 12 hours per shift and never back to back, which allmost allways ends up being closer to 15, and only supposed to consist of no more than 3 consecutive 12 hr shifts in a row, and never a double, which ussually turns out to be at least 4 shifts with at least one of them being a double)

... in a dangerous rush to keep up, but its hardely strictly enforced by any of the government authorities since they never get to observe the actual ratios since the hospitals are allways warned of their arivals and allowed to touch up things before they get there and they are placed in office by the very people who dont want them to strictly enforce anything.

[B]Allowing greedy bastards who dont give a hoot about actual patient care so much as their profit margins to run things is hardely the answer there.
No different from the UK and I am with you all the way denu.

Be well IAN 2411