Quite obviously he was a mentally disturbed individual. Sane people do not commit mass murder. Personally I'm neither a gun control or gun rights activist. But it is my considered opinion that the easy access to firearms in this country, including access by mentally disturbed people is a part of the problem. However, blaming access to firearms alone is far too simplistic. After all in this case, the individual also is suspected of stabbing four people to death before embarking on the shooting spree. So is more knife control the answer? Those bent on killing other human beings will always find a weapon, a means and the opportunity even if somehow the logical first choices, firearms and knives were magically removed from society. I think the demonstrated unwillingness on the part of government at both the federal and state levels to provide adequate funding for the effective diagnosis and treatment of mental illness is one of the primary causes behind these tragedies. In addition our current federal government, principally the administration has intentionally created a culture of victimization simply to obtain political gain and to further an ideology. If you are a ne'er do well of any description, according to the government, it isn't your fault. You are a victim of some class of people who are unfairly discriminating against you, holding you back, denying you happiness and prosperity. In this sad instance the individual blamed women for his problems. This intentional government policy promotes class warfare, cultural and racial tensions. It makes people want to lash out at those they blame for victimizing them. As long as we have an irresponsible government that promotes these things, there will be those mentally unstable people who will carry out these atrocities. Unfortunately I fear this is a problem that will get far worse before it gets better because you can be sure that the current government policies will not be changing anytime soon.