I am often times asked what it means to be Gorean. Or Just what is the Gorean way of BDSM, it's core philosophy etc.

John Norman's series called "The Chronicals of Gor" presents a world view with a strong philisophical basis in "virtue ethics". It has been adopted by many in the BDSM community becuase of it's wonderful depections of D/s power exchange.

Alltough there are many people out there calling themselves Gorean etc, thier are few who follow the ethical and moral codes expoused by Norman in his oft misunderstood series.

I have seen virtue ethics brought in to play several times throughout Normans work.

My Owner, Husband and Master, describes the Gorean Philosophies to me as: "A hierarchy of dominion" in which the responsibility of each cast is to seek perfection in thier given craft, in fact every individual in the pursuit of thier duties (including Masters and thier kajirae), is to strive to adhere to the very highest of standards (much as in the Zen dominated Japanese society of the Imperial era, as well as the Greeks and Romans ardor and glory orientated societies of classical civilization).

The powerful dominant males of Gorean society are presented as cruel yet fair, certianly not malicious. Such malicious acts, perversions, crimes,etc.. in fact all our societal woes are presented to be the direct result of our emasculation of male dominance here on earth, brought on by the advent of certian technologies and political mascications.

Within the hierarchy of Gorean truths there is no such thing as equality in an individual sence. The idea of it is preposterous, we each preform to our own individual capacities, and where that places one above the other so be it.

Those who are in power are presented to have great responsibility to those which have submitted to thier rule. They hold dominion over those bellow them in every biblical sence of the word, just as those bellow have an obligation to preform thier duties with pride on behalf of thier betters in fact urging all to even greater acts of accomplishment through competition. In other words; from Ubar to kajira, all involved, have an equal responsibility to thier society as a whole.

The purpose of this thread is to initiate a discussion on Gorean philosophies as well as educate the Gor curious as to what it is that we who identify with Gor are all about. I can assure you it's not all about playing Conan the Barbarian on second life lol.