There is one link that I am missing. Was the purpose of the task for you to go above and beyond his expectations? If yes, then he should be proud of you for your initiative. If not, then you could be given a chance to redo the original task. How exactly can the carrying out of one task become so paramount as to change a 'perfect' relationship of seven years?

Unless of course, there is more going on. And I am fully speculating here: what if he does not feel as an adequate Master to you anymore? What if he put the highest standards on the D/s side of your relationship, and now you showed him that his highest was still too low for you? What if he is simply fed up with the whole D/s scene and wants to be vanilla-normal again? What if...

What I am trying to say, Velocity, is that you two should communicate about the real issue here. Communication is key to any succesful relationship, even Vanilla.

I would also advise you to be patient. Your situation is not as grave as it looks. He loves you. You love him. He is the dominant in your relationship. You are submissive. And you have the history of seven D/s years. Chances of your relationship getting back its D/s side are considerable.

Good luck.