Colorado Billboard: “God Is An Imaginary Friend”

A coalition of atheist groups in Colorado purchased a series of billboards in Denver and Colorado Springs they hope will spark debate and encourage community gathering and thought.

The billboards will read “God Is An Imaginary Friend-Choose Reality, It Will Be Better For All Of Us.”

"According to Colorado Coalition of Reason (COCORE) one of the motivations for the billboards was a concern that religious individuals feel they have “not only the right, but the obligation to force their religious views on others.” The group cites increased proselytizing in the military, educational systems, and government and growing attacks on the LGBT community and abortion providers as evidence of the ever-expanding influence of religion in our culture.

The group went out of its way to state they were not trying to offend believers. “If you disagree with the sentiments of the sign, please don’t be offended. We are more interested in opening a dialogue than upsetting you. We don’t ask you to stop believing in your versions of a super-natural being. We do ask that you consider not forcing your religious views on others.”"

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/colorado...#ixzz1kk69qZxY

I had the impression that after Bush the religious movements that used to be very agressive had, all in all, calmed down somewhat. Am I wrong?

I see the atheist movement as in a dilemma: they feel pushed and they want to be heard, and so have catching/provoking phrases on their badges and billboards. But they also do not want to offend. Difficult balance - did they make it?