When I read Rodgers' rants about how unfair it was that women wouldn't fuck him, my thought was that on a smaller scale, a great many adolescents feel this sense of oppression and grievance. All those women are cruelly tantalizing him by looking hot, and the books and magazines say all those other guys are getting it, so why isn't he? It's not FAIR! Most young men grow out of that mindset in a year or three even if they don't get laid; being stuck in, effectively, a 16-year-old headspace seems to have been part of Rodgers' problem.

The other thing that struck me is that it seems to have been mostly an accident that his instability focussed on anger at women, because he happened to have struck across male supremacist sites when he was looking for a target for his infantile rage at the world for not giving him everything he wanted. Given his demonstrated gross racism, he could just as easily have been drawn to racist sites and ended up targeting blacks and Asians.

So I think it's misleading to treat him as some kind of indicator of a bigger trend of misogyny. There is a victim-posing movement of men who feel oppressed and bullied because they've lost the right to push women around, just as there are similar factions of whites and Christians feeling like victims because they're no longer top dog, but Rodgers wasn't in some way the cutting edge of it; he was a random incident.