I'm sure all would agree in clear cases of harassment like you being chased down the street but my gripe is females don't seem to be able to come up with a definition of what harrassment (or abuse) actually is. That's to say what is and what isn't. If I said to a woman I don't know "you look lovely" is that abuse or harassment? Surely women should try to reach some agreement amongst themselves on the rules before pushing for men to observe the rules.

And society must look at the women's appearance and intention. If a woman wears a flimsy top with her tits half hanging out then screams blue murder when she attracts a wolf whistle it seems very much like entrapment to me. The argument that the makeup and clothes make a woman feel good needs exploring. It makes them feel good because it makes them feel attractive (attract what) and desireable (by whom). Maybe they dont want to attract men but are they saying to other women...... I can attract men better than you.

Threat is not so hard to define. Normally it is a continuous action (like staring compared to looking) and one where somebody is changing their normal behaviour eg car slowing down.

A problem with harassment and other laws that protect a specific group of people (ie race, religion, gender etc) is the law assumes the protected person is right when making accusations. If a woman alleges abuses or says she was made to feel uncomfortable the law and society will take her side. Compare the statements "I felt uncomfortable" and "he made me feel uncomfortable".

The smart thing therefore is to avoid getting into a situation in the first place. This means distancing myself from any protected group. I wont stand next to you in a queue for fear of bumping into you. I wont attempt conversation if sat next to you on a flight. I'll wait for the next lift if you are in the lift alone. Better safe than sorry is my maxim.