Well this post is three really three seperate topics all rolled into one because I don't feel like starting three different threads. That would feel somehow presumptuos(sp).

Comminities
Is anyone here in a non-online BDSM community? Do these really exist? I know in my city there's a group that meets occasionally for "munches." What goes on in these communities? Would is be like a GBLTTQ community?

History
What is the history of this stuff? I read somewhere that the term "BDSM" was not actually coined until less than 10 or 15 years ago. Is this practiced in many other places in the world (non-western cultures)? Are they more or less accepting?

Social Acceptance
Relating somewhat to that, do you tihnk BDSM et al will ever be socially acceptable here? Say about as acceptable as it is to be gay. I think there will always be conservative fraidy cats and that acceptance of any life style will never be total. But just because a few don't accept something doesn't mean it isn't accepted by most. Will this ever happen? Will sitcom stars ever joke about the whipping they got last night? Will schools educate children about proper tying techniques?

I hope this isn't me being overly accademic again... I just think that this sort of thing is important. I love discussion. If it was good enough for the ancient Greeks, it's good enough for me.